May 11, 2011
And the Winner Is . . .
- Each year Miami-Dade County Public Schools recognizes its outstanding community partners. The theme this year was 'The Gift of Time'. This theme could not have been more appropriate because it clearly defines what these partners do each day... so unselfishly... providing of themselves... the true essence of TIME. Two of our PASS© Partners were announced as finalists in the School-wide division for this distinguished recognition: Dr. Gerald Glass, PASS Partner at Bunche Park Elementary, and Jeffrey Miller, PASS Partner at Hialeah Elementary. Representing Dr. Glass was Francisco Zangerolame and Freddy Royero represented Mr. Miller. The overall 2011 WINNER was Automated Health Care Solutions...Dr. Gerald Glass! Congratulations Dr. Glass!! These two CEOs thoroughly involve the employees at their companies in their respective schools.
- The Council for Educational Change’s nomination of three Miami-Dade elementary schools for curriculum enhancing grants has resulted in these schools receiving approximately $65,000 each. Van E. Blanton and Golden Glades Elementary schools will purchase computers and other educational technology, Carrie P. Meek/Westview will have an enhanced literacy program featuring new classroom libraries, listening stations, an enhanced Accelerated Reader program, and other exciting activities which students can take home. Funding for these programs is generously provided by the Leonore Annenberg School Fund for Children.
Math and Science Initiatives:
- Thacker Avenue Elementary principal, Shana Rafalski, and her Executive PASS partner, Publix Store Manager, George White, teamed up with parents to make math fun. The activity began at the school with students and parents attending a "Math Around the World" event. Parents along with their children visited stations with math activities from various countries around the world. Parents played the games with their children. After the activity, the parents drove to one of two neighborhood Publix stores. Upon arrival, students checked in with an employee who gave them a grade specific activity sheet. From there, the children, accompanied by their parents, visited the various aisles to complete the math-related activity. Both Manager White and Principal Rafalski worked with the children. This was a great educational activity that involved the parents, children, staff and business partner.
- Golden Glades Elementary hosted S.W.A.T Night (Science With A Twist), a Family Affair on April 27th. The program engaged parents and students in meaningful hands-on scientific activities. All participants received keepsake bags filled with scientific materials. The idea was developed by Glenda Moton, a Curriculum Support Specialist with the Division of Mathematics, Science, and Advanced Academics at the Miami-Dade County School District.
The semi-annual Council Board meeting was held on April 13th at the Tampa Bay Club and was hosted by Doug Davidson of Bank of America. On the evening proceeding, Sue Miller, Development Chair sponsored a dinner meeting held at Raymond James Financial, hosted by Board member, Scott Curtis. Thanks to all of the Board members for their continuing support of the Council.
PASS and Executive PASS News:
- Dr. Elaine Liftin, Council President, visited KIPP Impact Middle School in Jacksonville and met with John Baker, KIPP Jacksonville Board Chair, Tom Majdanics, KIPP Director and Robert Hawke, Principal. KIPP Impact Middle School, the first KIPP school in Florida, has strong business partners and a great commitment to improving student achievement. Gary Chartrand, Executive Director of Acosta Sales and Marketing Company is the Business Partner and Frances Gupton, is the coach.
- Malcolm Pein, International Chess Master, presented an extensive training session to the chess students at Scott Lake Elementary in Miami-Dade. The school's chess team is ranked as one of the best at both the regional and state levels. Mr. Pein was informed about the school's recognition through his longtime friend, Jeb Bush, Jr. Through Mr. Bush's support to schools, Dr. Patricia Dixon, PASS Coordinator, introduced him to Valerie Ward, principal, and the Scott Lake community to begin their partnership. Following the training, the students had an opportunity to ask questions and compete in games!
- Hialeah Hospital, Executive PASS Partner sponsored a Health Fair for the community and students at Hialeah-Miami Lakes Senior High School. Special guests included Billy the Marlin and the Marlin Mermaids.
- Burnie from the Miami Heat and Billy the Marlin brought FCAT excitement to the student body and staff at James Bright Elementary, a PASS Program School in Miami-Dade. The students enjoyed music, games, and class competitions sponsored by the Marlins and Miami Heat. The students also competed in the FCAT Idol with the top 10 winners performing at the Pep Rally. All of the activities were based on FCAT strategies which the students eagerly exhibited that they had mastered. Eleonel Lorenzo is the PASS Coach and Maritza Garcia is the principal.
- Congratulations to James Haj, Principal, and the students and staff at Southwest Miami Senior High for the glowing article which appeared in the Miami Herald. All were praised for their commitment to academics, and their documented improvement in student achievement.
- Gene Marshall, Council Board Chair and Joyce Haines, PASS Consultant, met with and welcomed Roy Moral, Principal of Cypress Creek Elementary to our PASS partnership family of schools. This rapidly growing school in Ruskin, Florida is supported through Hazel P. Bryson Fund at the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay.
- New Executive PASS partnerships include: Eneida Hartner Elementary – Dr. Derick McKoy, Principal and business partner Nina Ginatta, Play-in; Coral Gables Senior – Adolfo Acosta, Principal and business partner Alex Hernandez, Sabadell United Bank; Hialeah Gardens Senior – Dr. Louis Algaze, Principal and business partner Cristobal Sotolongo, Havana Grill.
It is with great sadness that we inform you of the passing of our friend and colleague, Dawn Wilson. Please keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers. We have lost a beautiful human being... and her passion for the Council will inspire us to continue her efforts.
A printable version of the Update is available for download below.
Council for Educational Change Board....Florida's Educational Think Tank
Gene E. Marshall, Chair • Dr. Elaine Liftin, President and Executive Director
Founder, Leonard Miller
Andrew L. Ansin • Philip F. Blumberg • Hugh M. Brown* • Columba Bush • Charles E. Cobb Jr.* • Irv Cohen • Scott A. Curtis • Dr. Akshay Desai
Willard D. Dover, Esq.* • Edward W. Easton • T. Willard Fair • Thomas J. Flood • Edward T. Foote, II • Karen Fryd • Dr. Robert W. Graham, III
Bill Habermeyer • Steven T. Halverson* • Alfred Hoffman, Jr.* • Elsie Sterling Howard •Cyrus M. Jollivette • David S. Kenin Esq • Jonathan I. Kislak
Daniel W. Mahurin* • Beth G. Martinez* • Philip G. McNally • Jeffrey Miller • Sue Miller • Robert A. Morris Jr. • Robert Moss • Beau Parrillo • Fred F. Pezeshkan
Charles E. Porter • Andrew S. Rosen • Peter S. Rummell • Steven J. Saiontz • Michael Scheck • Roger Slade • Elliott Stern* • Steven J. Uhlfelder
Gwynn C. Virostek • Keith T. Ward • Steven Wasserman • Lynne Wines • Dr. Paul Zimmerman • Robert A. Zinn *Life Trustees
3265 Meridian Parkway Suite 130 Weston, FL 33331 phone: 954.727.9909 fax: 954.727-0990 www.changeeeducation.org