Happy New Year!
As a New Year begins, we want to thank all of our partners—businesses, philanthropists, districts, schools, the Florida Department of Education, the Florida Council of 100, Florida TaxWatch, the Florida Legislature and everyone who helped to make 2011 such a meaningful and productive year for educational improvement through Council programs in Florida.
PASS© and Executive PASS©:
- Patrick Galatowitsch, Principal of Fern Creek Elementary and his staff and community members ended 2011 with an outstanding partnership celebration and opening of their “Community Closet” filled with items donated for students. Sherry Clarke represented CEC and Tocarra Mallard represented Executive PASS partner, Rollins College.
- On December 6th, over 70 participants in the Miami-Dade Executive PASS program participated in the Semi-Annual Networking Session held at Akerman Senterfitt. Ideas concerning the fantastic initiatives and programs that are underway in schools as a result of these partnerships were shared. Thanks to Akerman Senterfitt for hosting the event and providing a great breakfast.
- Hillsborough Superintendent MaryEllen Elia and the School Board members of Hillsborough County Public Schools honored the Cypress Creek Elementary PASS model at the November 2011 special recognition program. The model is sponsored by the Hazel P. Brynson Fund within the Community Foundation of Greater Sun City Center, a division of the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay. CEC Board Chair Gene Marshall, Business Mentor Evelyn Lunsford, Principal Roy Moral, Assistant Principal Michelle McBride, PASS Coach Dr. Mary Knox, PASS Consultant Dr. Joyce Haines, PASS Coordinator Sherry Clarke, and Sherry Ogden, District Elementary Specialist participated in the celebration.
- Welcome to the new Executive PASS partnership at John A. Ferguson Senior High in Miami-Dade. Dr. Lisa Robertson is the school’s Principal and Bernard Adrover of BankUnited will serve as the Executive PASS business partner.
- The Council for Educational Change was honored by the School Board of Broward County at its Dec. 6th meeting. Dr. Elaine Liftin, President and Executive Director of the Council and Jordan Zimmerman, Founder and Chairman of Zimmerman Advertising were each presented with proclamations by School Board Member Laurie Rich Levinson. The proclamations recognized them for their extraordinary commitment, dedication, and generosity to the students of Piper High School. Mr. Zimmerman is the PASS business partner for the school and Enid Valdez is the principal. Enid Valdez is the winner of the 2011 Leonard Miller Principal Leadership Award.
- CEC Development Chair, Sue Miller, has been named to the Board of Directors of the Great Artists Series. The group brings outstanding musicians to Miami-Dade. The appointment was announced in December by veteran arts presenter Judy Drucker.
- Broadmoor Elementary Principal Linda Klein has begun a health and wellness initiative sponsored by the Deborah L. Natansohn Foundation and its President, Rena Epstein. As a part of this program, the school received a grant from The Education Fund and the Plant a Thousand Gardens Collaborative Nutrition Initiative and now has two gardens growing on the west side of the school. The gardens will produce vegetables and herbs which will be utilized by Chef Michael D’Alesandro in a cooking demonstration for parents and children when they are ready in the spring. Chef D’Alesandro, a new partner from Florida International University, has previously done a presentation on preparing healthy snacks as a part of the school’s ongoing career days.
As the Council celebrates ten successful years of improving education in Florida,
Like Us on Facebook and Follow Us on Twitter
Join us as we celebrate throughout 2012.
A printable version of the Update is available for download below.
Council for Educational Change Board....Florida's Educational Think Tank
Gene E. Marshall, Chair • Dr. Elaine Liftin, President and Executive Director
Founder, Leonard Miller
Andrew L. Ansin* • Philip F. Blumberg • Hugh M. Brown* • Columba Bush* • Charles E. Cobb Jr.* • Irv Cohen • Scott A. Curtis • Dr. Akshay Desai
Edward W. Easton* • T. Willard Fair* • Edward T. Foote, II* • Karen Fryd • Dr. Robert W. Graham, III
Bill Habermeyer* • Steven T. Halverson* • Elsie Sterling Howard • Cyrus M. Jollivette • David S. Kenin Esq* • Jonathan I. Kislak*
Daniel W. Mahurin* • Beth G. Martinez* • Jeffrey Miller • Sue Miller • Robert A. Morris Jr.* • Robert Moss • Beau Parrillo • Fred F. Pezeshkan
Andrew S. Rosen • Peter S. Rummell* • Steven J. Saiontz • Michael Scheck* • Roger Slade • Elliott Stern* • Steven J. Uhlfelder
Keith T. Ward • Steven Wasserman • Lynne Wines • Dr. Paul Zimmerman • Robert A. Zinn *Life Trustees
3265 Meridian Parkway Suite 130 Weston, FL 33331 phone: 954.727.9909 fax: 954.727.0990 www.changeeeducation.org