Board Member: Anabel I. Nemrow
The Council’s newest Board member, Anabel I. Nemrow, joined BankUnited, N.A. as Senior Vice President and Associate General Counsel in 2009. In her current role, Ms. Nemrow supervises and collaborates with outside counsel on litigation matters involving creditors' rights, consumer and commercial lending issues, bankruptcies, workouts, employment and retail banking issues in both state and federal courts. She also monitors regulatory activity and provides guidance on legal and compliance issues bank-wide. Additionally, Ms. Nemrow reviews and negotiates vendor contracts, and drafts agreements in connection with the development of new customer relationships and new products. Ms. Nemrow addresses customer specific issues arising out of the bank’s daily operations and represents the Legal Department in special projects dealing with industry topics, changes in the law and growth initiatives, while building and developing partnerships.
Prior to joining BankUnited, Ms. Nemrow served as First Vice President, Assistant General JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., after its acquisition of Washington Mutual Bank in 2008. Ms. Nemrow’s career at Washington Mutual started in 1990, when she joined CenTrust Bank, which later became Great Western Bank and subsequently Washington Mutual. Ms. Nemrow and her team provided legal support to 2,200 financial centers and retail bank management nationwide, as well as back-office departments, on issues ranging from daily operations to regulatory compliance, litigation support and labor and employment matters. In addition, Ms. Nemrow was actively involved with the company-wide Spanish language initiative, as well as leading the team responsible for reviewing all Spanish marketing and advertising materials, policies and procedures, customer correspondence and legal documents for regulatory compliance and proper use of the Spanish language, while analyzing the effectiveness of advertising campaigns for all banking products.
Ms. Nemrow graduated with a juris doctorate from the University of Miami School of Law and earned a bachelor’s degree, cum laude, in International Finance and Marketing. She served as the legal Division Section Chair for the Dade County United Way Campaign, 1994; received Best New Team Award for the March of Dimes Campaign in 2006; participated in the annual Salvation Army Holiday Toy Drive; and delivered Financial Education and Career day programs to children ages 3-12 at local elementary and middle schools.
Congratulations to Dr. Theron Clark, PASS© principal at Golden Glades Elementary School. Dr. Clark was recently notified that he has been conferred to receive his doctorate in Education from Nova Southeastern University.
New PASS Partnerships…
- R. L. Brown Elementary School’s PASS partners and school community stakeholders enjoyed an informational kickoff meeting and luncheon January 18, highlighting the official launch of their partnership. Todd Simpson, Principal, provided opening remarks and an overview of the program. Russell B. Newton, Jr., Chairman Emeritus, Timucuan Asset Management serving as the business CEO for the partnership, shared motivational remarks stressing the value and importance of recognition for outstanding teaching that results in improved student achievement. Jackie Byrd, Chief of Elementary Cluster 1, representing the district and PASS Coordinator Sherry Clarke representing the Council for Educational Change also shared congratulations and remarks. Frances Gupton, the PASS coach for the partnership helped organize the launch and participated in the festive event.
- The new PASS program at Coral Gables Senior High School was launched at a breakfast on January 28. After presentations by the school’s jazz band and choral group, Principal Adolfo Costa introduced the invited guests. These included Mayor Jim Cason, Chamber President Mark Trowbridge, Council for Educational Change Board member Ned Shandloff, Foundation President Aida Shafer, who will serve as the business CEO, and George Kirkpatrick. Also attending were Council President Dr. Elaine Liftin, PASS Coordinator Dr. Patricia Dixon, Executive PASS Coordinator Boots Richards, PASS Coach Rafael Villalobos, as well as district staff and feeder pattern principals. The PASS proposal grew out of needs identified when the school participated in the Executive PASS program, and will focus on meeting the needs of all students, particularly those who require additional support.
- Dr. Yvonne Perry, Principal of Kelsey Pharr Elementary has the assistance of her Executive PASS Partner, Steve Richards, in a unique project. Mr. Richards is mentoring a group of young males who call themselves KEY Men, meaning Kelsey’s Exceptional Young Men. At the present time, the young men are planning a camping trip.
- Seminole Elementary’s Principal Lourdes Lopez and second grade students had some special visitors. Their Executive PASS partner Wendy Johnson and the Dental Team at Miami Children’s Hospital did a presentation for the students, and brought along a special guest, “The Tooth Fairy.”
- New Executive PASS partnerships include: Andover Middle – Principal Rennina Turner and business partner Bruno Costa of ING Financial Partners; Jane Roberts K-8 Center – Principal Ana Othon and business partner Eduardo Suarez of Mass Mutual Financial Group; Miami Southridge Senior – Principal Bianca Calzadilla and business partner Taylor Kollen of ING Financial Partners; Natural Bridge Elementary, Principal Frank Mac Bride Jr. partnering with Shawn Crouch of Seraphic Fire’s Miami Choral Academy. Boots Richards is the Executive PASS coordinator in Miami-Dade.
|Dates to Remember
February 4-6 – Commissioner’s Leadership Academy
February 12 – Jose Marti MAST 6-12 Academy B-PASS Showcase
February 13 – School Board Recognition of Council for Educational Change by
Miami-Dade County Public Schools
February 14 – Valentine’s Day
A printable version of the Update is available for download below.
Council for Educational Change Board....Florida's Educational Think Tank
Gene E. Marshall, Chair • Dr. Elaine Liftin, President and Executive Director
Founder, Leonard Miller
Andrew L. Ansin* • Philip F. Blumberg • Hugh M. Brown* • Columba Bush* • Charles E. Cobb Jr.* • Irv Cohen • Scott A. Curtis • Dr. Akshay Desai
Edward W. Easton* • T. Willard Fair* • Maribel Ferrer • Edward T. Foote, II* • Karen Fryd • Dr. Robert W. Graham, III
Bill Habermeyer* • Steven T. Halverson* • Elsie Sterling Howard • Cyrus M. Jollivette • David S. Kenin Esq* • Jonathan I. Kislak*
Daniel W. Mahurin* • Beth G. Martinez* • Jeffrey Miller • Sue Miller • Robert A. Morris Jr.* • Robert Moss • Anabel I. Nemrow • Beau Parrillo
Fred Pezeshkan • Andrew S. Rosen • Peter S. Rummell* • Steven J. Saiontz • Michael Scheck* • Roger Slade • Elliott Stern*
Steven J. Uhlfelder • Keith T. Ward • Steven Wasserman • Lynne Wines • Dr. Paul Zimmerman • Robert A. Zinn *Life Trustees
3265 Meridian Parkway Suite 130 Weston, FL 33331 phone: 954.727.9909 fax: 954.727.0990 www.changeeeducation.org